Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Worrysick by Jillian Law


My body is in Amsterdam, but my head is at home.
I try to write about canals and Anne Frank
And all I can think of are my dad’s shaky hands and my mom’s tired eyes.
I worry, and I can’t stop worrying.

Some days it is low
And instead I notice how quiet the streets are when I walk to class.
Nothing is awake yet, not really
Not before 10 a.m.

I wish my mind could just be here
I wish I could only notice how everyone buys fresh flowers here just because they can.
I do my best to catalogue the details of this place I am so fond of,
But sometimes I can only see the way my dad’s hands shake.
(Are they still shaking? I don’t know.)

I want to be in love with Amsterdam so bad,
But how can you be in love with a place when you’re entrenched in the pain of another?
In retrospect, I am sure I will say I loved Amsterdam
And I will not be lying.

But I will also be able to say that from home
Where I can go to church with my dad and listen to his voice no longer waver.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about my previous comment, but it didn't make sense. I love this poem. I've never been to Amsterdam, but your poem has made me want to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to MU Voices

Dorothy Parker once said, "I hate writing. I love having written." For many writers, this is a familiar feeling. Writing is hard. ...