Tuesday, December 4, 2018

The Seasons of My Heart by Rachel Fry


The snow was melting and the ground was thawing.
Nature had sprung back to life beckoned by the doves calling.
Too many days had gone by since I last felt the heat of the sun,
Too many months had passed since this eternal winter had begun.
I smiled giddily because at last spring had returned,
Bringing with it the warmth in which I had so yearned.
Everything was fresh and new as the butterflies fluttered,
Having been drawn to the sweet smell of the roses they’d discovered.
The cool, quiet mornings of spring soon transitioned into heated summer nights.
That Fourth the fireworks were louder than before, more vibrant and bright.
Caught up in the fervor of the summer, I had forgotten how quickly the seasons change.
For I was not prepared for the fall and its state of disarrange.
A chill was seeping back into my bones as I tried to hold onto the summer,
But the trees still shed their leaves, not the only ones feeling glummer.
Knowing better than most how the seasons change, I bundled up for the cold.
Those first lonely nights I ached, listening to the story the howling wind told.
However, I fell in love again upon seeing the glistening powder of the first snowfall,
 And I then wondered if I truly missed the heat of the summer at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to MU Voices

Dorothy Parker once said, "I hate writing. I love having written." For many writers, this is a familiar feeling. Writing is hard. ...