Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Brother by Barbara Glover


Brother
You are my fraternal friend of childhood
Who I raced cars with on hills of sand.
We charged together through the wood,
You with an axe and I with a rake
Clearing paths of twig and vine heading towards a lake.

In the city we spent days at the YMCA.
We made it through the whole swimming regiment.
Sometimes we spent an entire day,
You played soccer and softball, we ate ice cream and cake.
We did it all together, nothing was ever fake.

As adults we have been
The best of friends.
We still like to hike in the glen
Or take mom out for lunch.
And sometimes we all gather for brunch.

You’ve held me when I cried
At Dad’s death and funeral.
Then, I needed the comfort more than my pride.
You also counseled and cheered me
When Allan dumped me and I wanted to flee.

But now you got sick
How is that even possible?
And this disease no one can lick.
I see you as your body wastes
And it seems to do so with great haste.

Your children are young and in need.
You are their daddy
And they need you to lead.
How can they even understand?
Your death will bring them chaos like shifting sand.

I do not even know
How to go on without you.
Time is fast becoming the foe
As the shortening days you draw breath
Hasten and harken towards your death.

I do not want to live
In a world that you do not inhabit as well.
Oh, for what I wouldn’t give
To take this dreaded burden from you
And render your health anew.

You are so brave
As you struggle to laugh.
Oh, how we pray and try to save
You to be with us.
But you valiantly try to live without a fuss.

I say again, that when
You are gone
I will run and run and run into the glen,
And cry many tears
For all the moments and happy years.

Tears for all those golden years gone by
And for all those years that never will be.
This heartache I do not lie
Will follow me to my grave.
There is nothing but memories for me to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to MU Voices

Dorothy Parker once said, "I hate writing. I love having written." For many writers, this is a familiar feeling. Writing is hard. ...